How Auraa reported a 30% increase in productivity after the implementation of AWS
Auraa is an integrated audit risk and compliance platform developed by Beinex, designed to empower organizations and financial institutions to meet their most challenging requirements. Leveraging cutting edge technology and the power of AI to remove various Internal Audit and Risk pain points while cutting down the cost and saving valuable time and resources.
Auraa helps organizations to identify and mitigate risks by combining four independent processes in silo, onto one single integrated platform – Continuous audit, audit analytics, audit management and risk management.
- The IT infrastructure where Auraa was hosted was with an on-premise datacenter which was designed to be scalable and robust with multi node physical clusters including the server, storage and network components.
- Though the hardware setup was well equipped to meet the occasional spikes in the traffic, it was observed that over a course of 1-5-year time, most of the IT infra was underutilized than predicted. Realized that spending huge amount of money on the hardware and software maintenance, license costs, internet bandwidth, datacenter cooling and maintenance, touch support personnel and electricity costs.
- There was an attempt to select a cost-effective solution that can host Auraa’s application servers, web servers and archival data. This way IT infra can be re-provisioned to host sensitive data on-premise and the rest on the cloud, thereby reducing the overall physical hardware costs spent on a yearly basis.
- Hosting Auraa required a cost effective and agile way to scale up and down based on the requirement. The key aim was for a highly scalable solution to meet data traffic spikes during the financial year end transaction.
- Auraa’s backend application servers, web servers, database servers and archival data were decided to be migrated to AWS.
- The Auraa application’s AWS architecture includes Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2), a web service that automatically scales and provides complete control of its computing resources. They also perform object uploads to buckets in Amazon Simple Storage Service (Amazon S3) for storage and future archival, updates to tables in Amazon Relational Database Service (Amazon RDS), scaling of resources based on load (AWS Autoscaling Groups). AWS Elastic Load Balancer was used to distribute the traffic to the underlying EC2 instances based on the Load.
- Exploration of Amazon ElastiCache to retrieve data from fast, managed in-memory caches is in progress. This technology will be used to build distributed data collection systems and handle real-time statistics and metadata associated with some of the in-house mobile application consumption within the organization.
- Using AWS, the underlying cost of Auraa maintenance and occasional spikes in traffic were easily handled. The application can now scale up or down based on demand.
- Auraa uses AWS services to provision infrastructure and deploy applications. The automation of traditionally time-consuming workloads enables the organization to iterate and release new applications 30 times more frequently. In addition, Auraa can rapidly scale up when the workload grows and then shut down resources no longer required. Auraa reports an increase of 30% productivity after implementation of AWS.
- The implementation of Auraa on AWS made Beinex confident in the security of its data, and its accreditation team is enthusiastic about the monitoring and auditing capabilities provided by AWS tools. We were amazed by the number of the best-practice security patterns are achievable with the call of an API. With the implementation of IAM roles, Auraa can isolate systems and tightly control access. These capabilities were harder to achieve within the existing infra but were available out of the box with AWS.
- By adopting AWS, Auraa has been able to innovate and experiment to a degree previously impossible. For example, Beinex compared the performance and cost-effectiveness of three different AWS S3 solutions in one day. Without moving to the cloud, it would have taken months.