How the Department of Health (Abu Dhabi) streamlined covid related information by implementing the “EHSS” platform on AWS that gained a 40% productivity in operations control
About Employee Health & Safety System (EHSS)
The Employee Health & Safety System (EHSS) is a comprehensive covid test and vaccination tracking platform developed by Beinex, designed to empower organizations to track and monitor covid related details of their own employees, external entities, vendors etc. vising their premises and derive meaningful insights from the data using a powerful analytics engine. This platform was developed to assist our client Department of Health, Abu Dhabi (DoH) to provide them a complete overview of covid 19 related status within the UAE. EHSS leverages cutting edge technology and the power of AI to remove some of the ardent pain points such as risk scoring of employees based on physiology, at the same time providing an intuitive user access control to manually add and edit employee records.
EHSS helped DoH to visualize covid relation information by combining four independent processes in silo, onto one single integrated platform – employee health tracking, input and data capture, reporting & analytics and collaboration & control.
- The IT infrastructure of DoH where EHSS platform was hosted was in an on-premise datacenter which was designed to be scalable and robust with multi node physical clusters including the server, storage and network components. However, most of the physical hardware was quite old and not equipped with the latest generation of physical servers.
- Frequent hardware crashes and portal downtime kept troubling the availability of the EHSS application. Assigning a touch hand support person to power on the hardware that was down seemed quite impossible due the restrictions during covid period. Hence, DoH wanted to look for another viable solution.
- Though the hardware setup at DoH was well equipped to meet the occasional spikes in the traffic, it was observed that over a course of 6-month time, most of the IT infra was underutilized than predicted. It was realized that spending huge amount of money on an old hardware plus software maintenance, license costs, internet bandwidth, datacenter cooling and maintenance, touch support personnel and electricity costs – were keeping the business operations challenging.
- There was an attempt by DoH to select a cost-effective solution that can host EHSS application servers, web servers and archival data. This way IT infra can be re-provisioned to host sensitive data on-premise and the rest on the cloud, thereby reducing the overall physical hardware costs spent on a yearly basis.
- DoH decided to migrate EHSS’s backend application servers, web servers, database servers and archival data to AWS.
- The EHSS application’s AWS architecture includes Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2), that provides complete control of its computing resources, updates to tables in Amazon Relational Database Service (Amazon RDS) and AWS Elastic Load Balancer was used to distribute the traffic to the underlying EC2 instances based on the load.
- Exploration of Amazon ElastiCache to retrieve data from fast, managed in-memory caches is in progress by DoH. This technology will be used to build distributed data collection systems and handle real-time statistics and metadata associated with EHSS application.
- DoH uses AWS services now to provision infrastructure and deploy the EHSS platform to other departments within it. In addition, the EHSS resources that are no longer required to be run all the time are made to auto shutdown thus saving cost. DoH reports an increase of 40% productivity after implementation of AWS for the EHSS platform.
- The implementation of EHSS on AWS made DoH confident in the security of its data, and its accreditation team is enthusiastic about the monitoring and auditing capabilities provided by AWS tools. With the implementation of IAM roles, DoH IT team was able to isolate systems and tightly control user accesses. These capabilities were harder to achieve within the existing infra but were available out of the box with AWS
- By adopting AWS to host the EHSS platform, DoH has been able to innovate and experiment to a degree previously impossible. For example, DoH compared the performance and cost-effectiveness of three different cloud solutions. Without moving to the AWS, the costs associated with running an outdated on-premise hardware would have creeped up and the alternative way of upgrading the existing on-prem infrastructure to the latest hardware models and then hosting the EHSS application on top of it would have taken months.